Art and Creativity

Art is important for children especially during their early development. Research shows that art activities develop brain capacity in early childhood; in other words, art is good brain food! Art engages children’s senses in open-ended play and develops cognitive, social-emotional and multi-sensory skills. As children progress into elementary school and beyond, art continues to provide opportunities for brain development, mastery, self esteem and creativity.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

More X-Ray Handprints!

I just got back from the California AEYC Conference where I delivered workshops on “Art, Literacy & Brain Development.” The handouts from those workshops are posted here (you'll see them on the right sidebar) for you to view or print out. To prepare for the workshops I taught several literacy based art lessons to a variety of children in classrooms that varied from ages 3-5. It was fun leading children through messy art ideas that had a literacy connection, and once again I included the X-Ray Handprint in some of the lessons. These photographs were taken from a Kindergarten class, and the video clip shows a wonderful close-up of a child doing the final phase of scraper art, which reveals her handprints. Take a look!

So many of the conference attendees were excited to learn about X-Ray Handprints, so I decided to post these new photos here. See my previous post from Tuesday, Dec 14, 2010 for more X-Ray Art ideas, or find the complete lesson plan on page 44 in Smart Art 2 (MOREART).


It’s been a busy conference season so I’m a bit late on my monthly post. Thanks for waiting! If you sign up to be an Art and Creativity Blog subscriber, each new post will conveniently come to you as an email. That makes it super easy to get a stream of new art ideas for your classroom. Please subscribe today, you’d be doing me a favor by showing your support. Thank you!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 3:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I am dalyse, a stayathomemom of a 4yo girl. I like to make home activities for my girl, including arts. This summer we attend an art event of a panamanian artis name Olga Sinclair, and my lil girl love it. Since then, I keep looking for ideas and stuff because now she is open to look thru her art eyes.
I added yr pages to my favorites, so i will be around in a frequent basis.
come and visit my blog at www.burundanguitas.blogspot.com where I have posted some of our art / crafts activities.
rgds. dalysE

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger Nakamaru said...

the workshops is so good.
thank you for sharing this.
Goldenslot สล็อตออนไลน์ Gclub

 
At 4:35 AM, Blogger Mobile app development company said...

Nice and Informative article. Thanks for sharing. I would like to share information about the company. Like the city itself, our Top app development company in Mumbai never sleeps, tirelessly working round the clock to deliver apps that are not just functional, but also aesthetically pleasing and user-centric. Whether it's transforming a startup's vision into reality or enhancing the digital presence of an established enterprise, this company's commitment to excellence knows no bounds.

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Pakistan Movers and Packers Karachi said...

Very good information nice reading experience good luck

we are the best Packers and Movers in Karachi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home